I had never heard of Gillian McKeith until this morning. She is a Scottish TV star - here is a quote from her own website:
Gillian McKeith is the internationally acclaimed Holistic Nutritionist and presenter of You Are What You Eat hit Channel 4 series that took the nation by storm
She is a little bit extra famous, at least for today, because she had a weird hissy fit on Twitter.
There is no evidence of the debacle on her twitter account except for an easily refutable tweet implicitly denying that it is her twitter account. There is, of course, ample screen caps and links to cached pages.
Here is what happened in chronological order:
- Gillian tells a follower that the account in question is her official twitter account.
- A twitter user named Rachel tweets about an upcoming TV show that is critical of Gillian.
- Gillian finds this tweet, presumably by searching for her name on twitter search. She then proceeds to attack the user for her supposed biases and also to accuse the host of Bad Science of lying.
- The host of Bad Science replies to Gillian with a roundabout accusation of libel.
- Gillian publishes a series of tweets outlining and defending her educational credentials.
- Gillian removes all the potentially embarrassing tweets and adds a tweet suggesting that the account is not actually hers.
As an aside to the drama, the school that granted Gillian a “PhD” is now closed and is the subject of a page on Quackwatch.
Check out the Guardian for more…